Thursday, September 5, 2013

Oni

Very early stages of the next Magic Box lesson - concept for Oni, the Beast to Miss Julia's Beauty. A while ago as I was learning Japanese (The hardest/best way - by total immersion), I thought it was amusing that Onisan (Older Brother) sounded like Oni-san (Mr. Demon) and I call my sister's then fiance that since I didn't really have older brothers growing up. I still think it's amusing - that older brothers are secretly demonic - but more importantly it inspired a moment in my imagining of the fairy tale - a moment when Oni asks Julia to stay with him, to love him and she responds that he is more like a brother - like an Onisan - still like a demon. It was touching to me, so it will be illustrated as I build up this project. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment